Converting Live App to Use Canvas

I apologize in advance if this is extremely rudimentary. Having just stumbled upon Canvas, I am kicking myself for not finding it sooner. I built and launched an app almost a year ago that provides the key function for my business.

With the new Bubble responsive engine now a consideration, I have been mapping out how I could convert this live app once the engine is stable. However, Canvas seems like a perfect solution to take our app to the next level.

Any guidance on the following would be so incredibly appreciated:

1. In order to use Canvas, I would need to create a new app, install Canvas and then recreate all the associated workflows for my app, correct? Basically, it is not possible to install Canvas on top of an existing app, right?

2. Since my app is live, I’m assuming it is best to wait until the new Bubble responsive engine is finalized and stable to create this new app, install Canvas and then recreate everything, right? Otherwise, if I were to do this now, I would need to do the conversion process twice once the responsive engine IS finalized…is my understanding about this correct?

3. Additionally, since my app is currently live, with clients actively using it, submitting forms, etc., all that data will need to be extracted and carried over to the “new app”. I’m assuming the preferred approach is to extract the data as a CSV from the live app, upload it into the dev mode of the “new app” and then copy the dev database to the live database once the “new app” is ready to be deployed. Is this correct? This part frankly terrifies me. :sweat_smile:

4. Are there any known conflicts between Canvas and Docspring? We utilize the latter to generate .PDF reports and title certificates for our clients.

Thank you again for any help or tips you can offer!

Hello @dianna welcome to the forum.

1. Correct. Canvas cannot be installed onto an existing app. It is added as a Bubble template (when a user has chosen the free Canvas template in the templates marketplace) when a new app is created in Bubble.

2. The new responsive engine is still in beta. Even though it has been out for quite a bit of time. Until such time it is made official by Bubble we will then convert Canvas to the new engine. This effort is estimated at about 3-4 months time after the release by Bubble of an official 2nd but new responsive engine.Emphasis on 2nd because the current engine will not be phased out. What will happen is that it will not be further developed on. And … yes … Bubble themselves have said that it will be years until it is phased out due to non-further development. Both engines will co-exist for quite a while going forward. Enough time for apps to make a change … but years out in the future … if so preferred. Bubble will provide with enough time for apps to make this change once they announce an official phase-out of the current engine (I read in one of the founder posts that it should be one or two years so that folks can transition out and in adequately).

3. CSV is a good option. I suggest to explore further other options through the Bubble forum. I have not done major efforts of this sort. But I have read some about this there. I am sure you will find good mechanisms to do this. :smiley:

4. One can think of Canvas as Bubble programming pre-made for you. Since it is a template, it is indeed a Bubble app that you can build your preferred functionality onto. So, whatever good and bad things Bubble has with external services … the same good/bad will apply to a Bubble app with a Canvas template.

Hopefully, the above provided you with some of the guidance that you are looking for.

Best of luck with your project! :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you so much, this is super helpful!

1 Like