Does canvas creates the data types/workflows when i add pages/blocks

does canvas creates the data types/workflows when i add pages/blocks or do i have to create all the datatypes on my self?

Hi @l999f :slight_smile: Thanks for your message! The extension will automatically create the needed data types and workflows as you click to add new page templates and blocks.

Most Canvas pages/blocks are fully responsive visual assets, and some of these may contain workflows that modify the UI based on certain conditions. Other Canvas page templates and blocks are more similar to widgets and contain the ‘base’ responsive UI and functionality needed to add the asset and its base workflows into the app (e.g., Display all Threads, Display all Messages within a Thread, Create a New Message).

For example, the Bottom Input Chat Widget includes data types and workflows, which are automatically added via the extension (e.g., Thread, Message data types). However, other fields and workflows will likely need to be added on top of that block to meet each app’s individual use case and functionality requirements.

Okay, i see but what it does not make is to set up the portal sections… i dont know how to add a block to a specific Portal menu section… do you know what i mean?

@l999f Got it! The extension will add the block UIs to a portal page, but the conditionals are set up individually on each block. Here is a guide that describes which conditionals to add to each block so that certain blocks become visible when certain tabs are clicked (this is within the “Showing or Hiding a Module” subsection of the documentation page) Portal / Dashboard Page with Icons - Canvas Pages and Modules

hi, yes i read this just a few mins a go but i dont really understand where i have to put the block in? i mean do i have to create like a parants base for every menu tab section or can i put every block in the same group ? if yes does it automatically bringts blocks that are stacked up downstairs to the top?
@faye

@l999f All blocks can stay within the 860 group, and you would add the conditionals to the outermost group on each block. For example, if you have a portal page with two blocks, the modifications to show certain blocks when different tabs are clicked would be to:

1. Find the outermost group on the first block, and set it to hide on page load and collapse in height:

2. On that same group, add the conditional that shows the group when a certain tab’s value is equal to the var - URL tab parameter value (this could be any tab you choose, but it is the first one in this example)

3. Find the outermost group on the second block, and set it to thide on page load and collapse in height:

4. On that same group, add the conditional that shows the group when a certain tab’s value is equal to the var - URL tab parameter value (this could be any tab you choose, but it is the second on in this example)

The workflows to change the var - tab URL parameter are already set up on each tab (through the “Navigate” custom event), but these conditionals need to be added to each block individually by the developer since there is no way of knowing which blocks need to be visible when certain tabs are clicked (since this will vary between each app).

Just in case it is useful, this video is very helpful in explaining more about Bubble’s collapse in height setting. While Canvas contains many elements that speed up development, by itself, Canvas and the extension will not build all of the features that a custom app requires since functionality will differ significantly from app to app. Similarly, the documentation will explain more about the structure of each page template and block, but it doesn’t contain tutorials about all Bubble concepts.

There are also a ton of awesome resources which discuss Bubble concepts that are relevant for Canvas and building with Bubble in general. I highly recommend Coaching Bubble’s videos and Buildcamp’s videos because most of the concepts in their videos will apply to customizing any type of app in Bubble (built with Canvas or from scratch). Similarly, this comprehensive tutorial discusses many Bubble principles that are useful and time-saving when modifying Canvas elements as well.

I hope this is helpful but please let me know if you have any questions! Thank you again, @l999f! :slight_smile:

did everything like you said, but its not working. i sent you a screen recording over google drivehttps://drive.google.com/file/d/13Hy2tF7y4BjYWZrwg7znBbjI57QQhndB/view?usp=sharing

@faye

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13Hy2tF7y4BjYWZrwg7znBbjI57QQhndB/view?usp=sharing

is this the only solution to solve this or is therea way i dont know already… you know im kinda familliar with bubble but i wanna understand how canvas works, and im so confused because its just a complete overflow for my mind haha… i want to built my app exactly with the same Efficiency like it should be done.

@faye

Hi @l999f,

Thank you for posting here and sending support emails. Canvas framework is largely self-service, we rely on users to understand how Bubble works and read the extensive Canvas documentation. Unfortunately, we would not be able to walk you through how Canvas is built.