How do I update my Canvas to the newest release?

I’m new to Canvas, so apologies if I missed something obvious, but I haven’t been able to find in the documentation or in this forum how to update my Canvas to the newest release. It appears that Canvas is updated regularly, but I don’t see how to make an update. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi @david, Thanks so much for your message! :slight_smile:

That’s a great question; the latest Canvas releases can be found on this page. Releases relate to the Canvas Base Template or the Canvas Chrome extension.

For releases that affect the Canvas Base Template, those updates are only applied to brand new apps created with the Base Template after the release was pushed to live. These updates usually relate to the design and functionality of the built-in Canvas Base Template pages and reusable elements (e.g., the admin portal, login page, account page, legal pages, and the header). There is not currently a way to sync those types of updates with existing Bubble applications, so the release is mainly relevant for those creating brand new apps with the Canvas Base Template. At times, a release may be related to a specific error fix for existing apps created with the Canvas Base Template, and in those cases, the release will have a clickable link that leads to any steps that you might need to take in your app.

For releases that relate to the Canvas Chrome extension (e.g., new blocks, new page templates, new styles), the extension will automatically display all of the library assets and prompt you to update your app’s styles if they are needed to use any newly released assets. Similarly, the Canvas Marketing Page Builder will automatically update to display the newly released homepage blocks as long as the app was created after the Marketing Page Builder was first released.

For most releases, no action is necessary for existing applications, but if there is, we will proactively let you know on the releases page and by email/in the forum. I hope that is helpful, but please don’t hesitate to let me know if I can clarify anything or if you have any questions! Thanks again, David!

7 Likes

@faye I would like to take advantage of the new responsive capabilities with the update to 4.0.0. Currently my app Canvas version is 3.8.3. How can I update it to 4.0.0?

2 Likes

Hello @randymwarner welcome to the forum!

Bubble templates are installed during the creation of the Bubble app. Once installed the app developer can build on top of it.

Canvas is a Bubble template. Thus, it can only be installed when the app is first created. (Faye did a great explanation on this please review her comments above).

Hi!

Thanks for all the explanations!

If understand it correctly I would need to buy a new canvas licence if I would like to change from version 3 to 4. Is that correct?

Thanks for your help!

Tobias

Hello @tobiaskuhm welcome to the community

Changing versions is not possible.

The only time a template can be installed is on the moment that the Bubble app is created. The installation of a template happens as part of this process.

1 Like